Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Windows, Windows

MOVING WINDOWS:  I think the final count was 12 windows that we had moved.  (A few of them were moved more than once.)

THE MASTER BEDROOM WINDOWS: We were trying to decide between centering the windows on the outside or the inside. When it was framed, the windows were centered on the outside, but it was really off in the room. So I came up with a solution that I'm quite pleased with, if I do say so myself. I think the windows look good from the outside and they're centered on the inside now, too - so I won't twitch every time I look at them.

The Master Bedroom windows are the top 3 on the right.
This is how they were first - centered on the outside.  Looks good. But on the inside they were quite off-centered.
This is just a computer rendering-- what it would look like if we took the windows and shifted them so they'd be centered on the inside.  Not lookin' so good from the outside, eh?
And this is the compromise.  We kept the easternmost window lined up, and squeezed the middle window.  Now it's centered on the inside (yay!) and I think still looks good on the outside. 

  What do you think?
 
THOSE TWO LITTLE WINDOWS: When it came time to cut into the roof to put in those little windows with their own little roofs - I realized how much was already going on with the house. I loved how it was looking, but we thought those little window things would just be too much. So we didn't cut into the roof and dropped the cut-out for the windows down. And then we had them move them up a little again. So, they framed those windows 3 times (eek) - but it was still easier than doing the little roof-thingies, right? I like to think so.

(So we're looking at those little square windows to the right and left of the main 4 windows in the front of the house.)

These windows were TOO HIGH.
These windows were TOO LOW.
Ahhh, JUST RIGHT.


(Anyone out there just begging to build our next house for us??  Too bad, we're here to stay.  Probably why we're being so picky.)


ACTUAL WINDOWS:  And they're in!  Tada!  Hooray for windows!  No more snow on the floors and hurricane conditions for the workers.

*Did you see the pillars?  They will have rock on the bottom and then white for the slopey parts.

1 comment:

  1. Good work, Victoria and Mike. I think your solution is masterful--looks good outside and (more importantly) in. And I agree that the little windows now look just right.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete